Berryman J. Fitzhugh, III
Former Wake County Asst District Attorney
Criminal Defense Lawyer in Raleigh
Trey Fitzhugh was born and raised in Raleigh, graduating from Ravenscroft School in 1990 and from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1994.
In 1995, Trey began his legal education at The Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law at Campbell University. Following his first year at Campbell, he worked as a law clerk at DeMent, Askew, Gammon and Dement. During his third year, he gained valuable experience as an intern at the Wake County District Attorney's office.
Upon graduating, he was admitted to the State Bar of North Carolina in 1998. Trey then became an associate for a brief period at DeMent, Askew, Gammon & DeMent, opting to become an Assistant District Attorney in Durham County. When a position at the Wake County District Attorney's office came open approximately 3 months later, he jumped at the chance to "come home" to Raleigh as an Assistant District Attorney.
In 2000, Trey was asked by Rick Gammon to practice with Rick at DeMent, Askew. Eager to accept the offer, Trey began building his own defense practice as Rick and Trey worked closely together on a large number of high profile homicide, sex offense, and narcotics cases in both state and federal court. Upon Rick's retirement, Trey remained a partner at DeMent, Askew until moving and becoming a partner at Sandman, Finn & Fitzhugh in July, 2008.
Call Raleigh criminal defense attorney Trey Fitzhugh at (919) 887-8040 to schedule a free initial consultation at Sandman, Finn & Fitzhugh.
Education & Experience:
- 1994, B.A. UNC-Chapel Hill
- 1998, JD Campbell University School at Law
- 1998, Assistant District Attorney Durham County
- 1998 – 2000, Assistant District Attorney Wake County
- 2000 – 2008, DeMent, Askew, Gammon & Dement Partner
- 2008 – Present, Sandman, Finn & Fitzhugh, P.L.L.C Partner
- 2011 – 2012, Selected as a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers Magazine
- The Bar of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers